Writing an effective, attractive job ad is a critical when you are trying to capture top-notch talent. Entice job seekers to apply to the open position at your organization by following these guidelines to craft a compelling (and informative!) job posting.
- Job Title
Pull candidates in with “LSS”—location, skill, and sizzle. For example:
- “Computer Programmer, Southern California – Great Surfing and Competitive Compensation.”
- “Entry-Level Copywriting Opportunity, Startup Enterprise – Sneakers and Dogs Welcome.”
- Lead In
Sell your organization in the first four lines by convincing job seekers that this is their dream job and you are their dream employer. Reel them in with a salary range and the assurance of confidentiality.
- Job Description & Benefits
Top talent won’t dig their way through boring business jargon and third-person phrases to find what they are really looking for: What will I be doing? What will I be learning? What will I be accomplishing and with whom? How will I be recognized? How does this company take care of their staff? What’s in it for me? Tell them!
Be memorable by giving the reader a taste of your unique company culture—workplace atmosphere, celebrations, contests, volunteerism, etc.
- Key Requirements, Skills & Qualifications
Keep it brief, but don’t skip over the essentials—years of experience, education/licenses/certifications, and work eligibility. Be specific and relatable with soft skills as well: “Good communication skills” vs. “Ability to present complicated information in an easily understood manner.” See the difference?
- How to Apply
Make your instructions crystal clear (what they should send in and to whom) and provide contact information as well as useful links. The easier your instructions are to follow, the sooner you’ll find the perfect hire.
- Three-Part Closing
Add courtesy to the impersonal world of online job searching. Say thanks, tell job seekers they will be notified when their application is received, and include the email address this notification will come from. A-Players expect to be treated well.
- Enhance readability with the S-ABC-S format: Summary, Advantages, Benefits, Culture, Sign-Off
- Be speed-reader friendly: Use bulleted lists, not lengthy paragraphs, and limit those lists to 7 bullet points at most (5 is ideal).
- Use the Socratic Method of dialogue: Insert questions here and there to engage the reader. “Hate cubicles? ABC’s offices have an open layout that encourages cross-departmental collaboration and innovation.”
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Include relevant and industry-specific keywords to ensure your position is found by candidates searching for openings.
For a fully loaded job ad template complete with detailed explanations and sample ads, try downloading iHire’s Job Ad Template, or call an Account Manager at 877-433-8860.